Image may be subject to copyright

 The Captain Wohlt Inn, Hermann's Premier Historic Inn, is an easy walk to all the shops, antiques, restaurants and bars, as well as Hermannhof Winery, Tin Mill Brewery and both Fernweh and Black Shire Distilleries. All of our buildings are located in the Heart of the Historic District, and three of the five are listed with the National Historic Registry. 

On the main property you'll find a well manicured lawn and garden area available to all guests. The grounds include multiple seating areas with a butterfly & bird garden, pergola, patio, BB-Q grill, outdoor lawn games, and fire pits. It is the perfect place to relax, unwind and enjoy a glass of wine.

The Captain's Home

The Captain's Home, remodeled in 2016 is a charming three-story frame house built in 1886. It offers adult guests five guestrooms, each with a private bath. There are two cozy attic rooms with Full beds and three spacious Deluxe Queen Rooms. All of our guests gather in the dining room of The Captain's Home for a gourmet breakfast prepared fresh each morning in our kitchen.

Image may be subject to copyright
Image may be subject to copyright

The Captain's Neighbor

The Captain's Neighbor, located directly across the street, has been remodeled in 2018. Our guestrooms now feature a grey tone-on tone color scheme, new modern furniture including Serta mattresses, flat screen T.V.'s, microwave/ mini-fridge combos, iron and ironing board, as well as in-room coffee service featuring Starbucks Coffee. In the spacious common room our guests are encouraged to socialize, watch TV & videos, or hold small business meetings. The Captain's Neighbor is also perfect for a large group to rent just for themselves.

The Captain's Boutique Hotel

We're expanding again! We will be adding 5 new guestrooms in the two brick buildings, built circa 1840, located on East Third Street.
These new rooms will feature a more modern look, new furniture and all the "extras" you've come to expect from the Captain Wohlt Inn plus at least a few surprises as well! More updates as 2019 progresses.

Image may be subject to copyright
Image may be subject to copyright

The Owners


 Dr. Harry and and Mrs. Lee Sammons were the original owners of the Captain Wohlt Inn which they opened in 1987.
Mat and Kent Wilkins purchased the Inn in 2001. After Mat's passing in 2009, Kent ran the Inn until 2012.

In 2012, their son, Brant bought the Inn and took over day-to-day operations.


Captain Heinrich Wohlt (1833-1899)

In 1843, at age 10, Heinrich Wohlt came to "Rhine Country," from Germany, with his mother and stepfather. They lived at First Creek and at an early age he was apprenticed to a shoemaker, which was his trade for several years.

In 1852, at age 19, he married Miss Christine Burkhard. They continued living at First Creek for 10 years until they moved to Fredericksburg. It was here that he fell in love with the river and with steamboats in particular.

He built an impractical craft that was anything but a success. However, his industriousness attracted the attention of Hermann people and with their backing, he was able to build the steamer "Fawn" in 1880.

The "Fawn" did ferry service and also commanded the Gasconade River trade, proving to be a success and a good investment to his backers. It became the nucleus for the Hermann Packet and Ferry Boat Company with Captain Wohlt as a charter member of that group.

In 1882, his wife died and, due to ill health, he abandoned the river and steamboats.

In 1891, being of innate industrious habits, he engaged in the milling business at Spring Creek in Franklin County. He had, in the meantime, married Mrs. Frederike Krech.

The home at 123 East Third Street (now the Captain Wohlt Inn bed and breakfast) was built in 1886, as a prospective retirement home, with the 121 East Third Street property purchased to be an income property.

Ten years later, in 1896, his second wife died and he lived out his remaining days with a widowed daughter, Mrs. Mary Plattner.

After Captain Wohlt's death, the Hermann Packet and Ferry Company named a new steamboat in his honor and memory.